Sunday, February 23, 2014

Ok, I now have some sense of direction.....I think.

I bought the online course "The Fundamentals of Coaching Football at NFHS Learning Center for a few  reasons.  First, the course is a national recognized course that many states actually require of their coaches.  Secondly,  the website also provides many resources such as practice plan templates and animated video drills.  And lastly, with my subscription to the course, I also got a free membership to USA football which is the governing body for youth football where there are a whole cache of tools and resources.

Now as for what the actually course entails, it is a five unit course that must be done in order and has assessments to make sure you understand the material.  I figure I can do at least one unit every one to tow weeks.  The biggest drawback is that the lessons are all videos that take a long time to load.   The first unit was all about player safety.  I did learn something that was not practice when I was a player, the levels of contact.  This where you control the type of contact your players have with each during practice.  There are 5 levels of contact:

Air-simulating drills in the air to check for proper form and technique.
Bags-same as air, but gives the player a target to practice technique on.
Control- Player on player contact, but the outcome is predetermined for one side of the ball.
Thud- Player vs player, but the drill stops before any players go to the ground.
Live- Full, game simulated contact that only should be done in a team setting.

I am kind of confused by this because there are drills I did as a player that were one on one like tombstones that was entirely full contact.  Are these type of drills not considered safe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNk5IFZ0FpQ

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jon,
    Okay, it does seem as if you are making progress. I like the idea of the course and hearing your reflections. I appreciate the video link, but you should embed it instead of just giving the link! I would also like to see more frequent reflections. . .
    Here are some of my standard questions for the #20time students to consider:
    What tool are you using to archive/curate your resources and if you have them, are they connected to this blog? Are you looking for a community of others doing/learning the same thing? This community can be local or on the Internet, but community is a necessary part of the process/learning!
    jeff

    ReplyDelete