Sunday, March 23, 2014

Better Late than Never

I have had a rough week and a half where I have regrettably have pushed this project off to the side due more pressing (less fun) commitments I had.  Ok, I am now 55% through the NFHS course and completed the entire 3rd unit that discussed basic offensive team skills.  Going by the position sets, not a whole lot has changed.  Lets start with the quarterback skills;

The center to QB snap is one of the most important skills for the position.  Now I know by watching a few high school football games these past few years that taking the snap from under center is a rariety, but I think is important for a QB (and center) to be able to handle both type of snaps because it makes the offense more versitile.  A QB can get rid of a ball much quicker under center.  Watch this video as an example:

As you can see with a one step drop, the QB has the option of throwing a quick pass.

Here is a demonstration for a quick pass using a 3 step drop.

Now don't get me wrong, I believe there is a place for the shotgun snap.  It may be necessary to the abilites of the quarterback and what the opposing defense is doing.  If your QB is like another RB that can move the ball with his feet, then the shotgun might be suited for him.  If the defense is getting good pressure, the shotgun gives the QB more time to throw as shown by this last video.

There is a lot more to the quarterback position but most of those skills such as throwing is still the same as when I played.  So I wanted to focus on some of the trends that have past me by and discover for myself why so many schools' offenses are built from the shotgun.

Here is a forum I found that discusses this very thing:  shotgun vs center snap

No comments:

Post a Comment